Portland Place, Lower Clapton Road
Portland Place, Lower Clapton Road,
a terrace of shops and houses, extending from Hackney Church yars to Urswick Road (Upper Homerton),
taken from the south east corner of Clapton Suqare, looking east.
It has been completely replaced by Hackney Police Station (built 1904),
the London Electricity Board Offices and intervening houses with portico entrances at the top of the steps.
The change is remarkable, if note unbelieveable, so unrecogniesable is the area. Date summer 1884.